Butternut Squash Risotto
Author: Easy Vegetarian
Recipe type: dinner
- 1-quart Vegetable Broth/Chicken Broth
- 4 Tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups risotto rice, Arborio
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups chopped pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan cheese
- Salt, as desired
- Pepper, as desired
- Put the broth in a saucepan. Heat until almost boiling, then reduce the heat until barely simmering to keep it hot.
- Heat the butter and oil in a deep skillet or heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes, until softened but not browned. Add the garlic and mix well.
- Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the grains are well coated and glistening, about 1 minute. Pour in the wine and stir until it has been completely absorbed.
- Add 1 ladle of hot broth, the pumpkin or butternut squash, and parsley. Simmer, stirring until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue to add the broth at intervals and cook as before, until the liquid has been absorbed, the pumpkin is cooked, and the rice is tender but firm, about 18-20 minutes. Reserve the last ladle of broth.
- Add the reserved broth, Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Remove from the heat, cover, and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Spoon into warm bowls and serve immediately.