Author: Mary & Molly
Recipe type: English Dinner
- 3 Tbsps oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ pounds ground lamb or ground beef
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 bouillon cubes (optional)
- 1 heaped tablespoon flour
- 1 cup white wine
- ½ cup water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp tarragon
- 3 large potatoes, peeled
- 3 ounces butter
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cooked corn
- 2 Tbsps Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft. Turn up the heat and add the meat, stirring until it is browned.
- Drain off any fat and add the tomato paste , bouillon cubes and flour. Mix well and cook for a minute before adding the wine and water. Season well with salt and pepper and add the tarragon. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook and mash the potatoes. Add the butter and milk, and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the meat mixture in a large well-greased souffle or baking dish. Spread the corn over the meat and the mashed potatoes on top so that the meat and corn are completely covered.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes and bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Place under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the top and serve.
- N.B. : The addition of corn is not strictly authentic. However, it looks decorative and adds a nice flavor.